Homeworld: Rebirth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modular Weapon Systems

4 posters

Go down

Modular Weapon Systems Empty Modular Weapon Systems

Post by Odie_76 Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:58 am

I like the modular weapons subsystems and what the team has done with the modest system, but would I would like to make some suggestions.

The the 3x, 6x, artillery, and pulser weapons feel too big for the destroyer.  Scaling them down to 0.9 would make a big difference.  There damage could be scaled as well to represent the difference between a cruiser weapon and a destroyer weapon.  Which is found in the vanilla Homeworld 2 with the BC kinetic cannons vs the destroyer kinetic cannons.

And what happened to the 2x kinetic cannon for the destroyer?  I think the modular destroyer should be built with the original 2x kinetic cannon as the base weapon and upgrade from there.

With the inclusion of the torpedo silo (Rapid Bomb Rocket) do we still need the old turreted torpedo launcher that only fires 2 torpedos?  And the torpedos look too big to fit inside the turret...
Odie_76
Odie_76

Back to top Go down

Modular Weapon Systems Empty Re: Modular Weapon Systems

Post by ALC Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:25 am

Good points there, especially the turreted torpedo launcher.

As an example, the US Navy in late WW2 had a standard turret which it had mounted on many of its warships, from Destroyers up to carriers and battleships. It was the main armament on a DD and the tertiary (or thereabouts) armament on a BB. In designing modular weaponry we should adopt a similar approach. The turret or weapon system ought not to be too large for the ship it is placed on.

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakamura Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:27 am

Odie_76 wrote:
The the 3x, 6x, artillery, and pulser weapons feel too big for the destroyer.  Scaling them down to 0.9 would make a big difference.
Should be done eventually, but this is not a priority.  
Odie_76 wrote:
There damage could be scaled as well to represent the difference between a cruiser weapon and a destroyer weapon.  Which is found in the vanilla Homeworld 2 with the BC kinetic cannons vs the destroyer kinetic cannons.
They are standard capital class weaponry. The difference between the two ships is that the cruiser is able to house 1 more gun as well as superior torpedo silos, AND can get an ablative shield, once it's researched. Add the heavier armor, the pulsar and point defense guns to that. Really, the cruiser is a far heavier chassis than the destroyer even with standardized weaponry.
Another reason why this is required is to nerf the hiigaran endgame by a small margin.

Odie_76 wrote:And what happened to the 2x kinetic cannon for the destroyer?  I think the modular destroyer should be built with the original 2x kinetic cannon as the base weapon and upgrade from there.
This is exactly what we're going to do, once there is time. It'll probably be done in the coming 8.6 release (also 8.5.2 is incoming).

Odie_76 wrote:With the inclusion of the torpedo silo (Rapid Bomb Rocket) do we still need the old turreted torpedo launcher that only fires 2 torpedos?  And the torpedos look too big to fit inside the turret...
Which exact one are we talking about here? The modular turreted torpedo launcher? I'd like to standardize weapons completely for 8.6, but that is a huge job. The silo can take over the field instead of the turreted launchers.
Nakamura
Nakamura

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hw2rebirth

Back to top Go down

Post by Odie_76 Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:55 am

Nakamura wrote:
Which exact one are we talking about here? The modular turreted torpedo launcher? I'd like to standardize weapons completely for 8.6, but that is a huge job. The silo can take over the field instead of the turreted launchers.

Yes the modular turreted torpedo launcher.  The direct bomb launcher that launches the smaller rockets would be good to keep as a short range anti-fighter/corvette weapon that when upgraded could fire anti-missile rockets.

I have been working on my own to standardize weapons and have gotten pretty far with the Hiigaran weapons.  You are welcome to have a look at them...
Odie_76
Odie_76

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakamura Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 pm

I think that we have more than enough anti-missile systems on the hiigaran side. I'd even call them overpowered in that regard. The point of the direct bomb launcher is that it cannot be stopped by anti-missile weaponry. If a player can see that there is AM coverage, but no defense fields, they would opt for picking DBL-s.

I'd like to see your standardization for sure.
Nakamura
Nakamura

Back to top Go down

Post by Odie_76 Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 am

I have those modular weapons working with MODEST. I will send a link.

I thought MODEST found a way to allow for pre-built subsystems? I have tried implementing that and only the pre-built subsystem shows in the build menu for the modular cruiser and destroyer. The Sentinel works correctly. I am guessing there is something in the Complex Code that affects the build menu?
Odie_76
Odie_76

Back to top Go down

Post by Farcrada Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:09 am

As far as I know, it has, yes. Added new ships to it, added different icons (Basically replaced the old with new.), changed the overall color (Which we need to redo, but that's when we are in 8.7 or later.) and I think they added tabs to the build, dock and research list.
Farcrada
Farcrada
Fairy Princess

https://homeworldrebirth.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakamura Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:02 am

Checked the weapon systems. This is a ton of work to implement. 8.7 would be a realistic time frame.
Nakamura
Nakamura

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down