Homeworld: Rebirth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Star Trek Movie!

+2
Nakamura
ALC
6 posters

Go down

New Star Trek Movie! Empty New Star Trek Movie!

Post by ALC Thu May 09, 2013 7:16 am

The second re-imagining movie is out.
(Still can't get used to Sylar being Spock!

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

More of the same, or something new...

ALC

Back to top Go down

New Star Trek Movie! Empty Re: New Star Trek Movie!

Post by Nakamura Fri May 10, 2013 1:38 pm

I'll watch it with my girlfriend in the summer, wouldn't want to spoil my own fun yet!
Nakamura
Nakamura

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hw2rebirth

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC Sat May 11, 2013 8:46 am

I've heard it's very good!
Have to go and see it now!

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by _Alex_ Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Perhaps a bit old thread, but I've watched it when it was released. Watched it in 3D.

Actors are good, various effects of going to warp, weapons fire, enterprise lift-off etc. are all gorgeous.

But....and this is an issue with most movies I have right now....the action sequences...

Lots of camera shake till you can't see clearly anymore, ultra-fast switching camera positions, lots of noise.....but I can't see the action unfold anymore so I can follow it. I find it just a cheap way to save the hassle of properly directing action sequences. I could do this with my dia projector, just shake it, switch dias very quickly and growl in between.

_Alex_

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:50 pm

It's the 'new' way of doing action sequences — making them look as if they were shot on a hand-held camera by a correspondent who was possibly under fire themselves!

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:25 am

I really don't like the new Star Trek reboot. I'm not one of those "TOS or GTFO" nostalgia idiot but that new reboot doesn't have anything to do with Star Trek anymore Sad
It's not because the characters aren't the same or the Enterprise looks slightly different. But it's because they completely threw out the idea that Star Trek incorporated.

I think I could just rage about the movie (the 2009 wasn't as bad as Into Darkness) for hours so I won't now^^

So yea: decent actors and a decent chance that was ruined by poop writers Sad
SpaceKookie
SpaceKookie

http://www.katharinasabel.de

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 am

You're right — it's a 'reimagined' version. Like a zany comic book thing, not realistic at all (In as much as ST can be realistic!). They seem to be all the range these days.

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:43 am

Well I don't mind reimaginations. the BSG reimagination was a billion times better than the original. But this is just…shitty. They turned Star Trek into some random action summer flick. They could just replace the name of the movie with "Space cowboys" and it would still be a valid movie...and thats the issue I have with it -_-

+ Dr. Carol stripping scene for no reason. Really? O.o
SpaceKookie
SpaceKookie

Back to top Go down

Post by IGBC Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:02 am

But BSG was so good because they decided to pull it out into a series, which allowed them to explore the depths of the characters in much greater detail. They also went in the complete oposite direction to the new imagining, by going a lot darker, opposed to the humor that was injected into the new ST movies.

In short I think that they've tried to appeal to a new audience. A friend of mine, who has never enjoyed any of the older ST films loves these new ones.

So to summarize: Are these cheap action flicks? Yes. Are they aimed at Trekkies (I use this term to mean anyone who enjoys the older ST franchises)? NO.

[For the record, I got blank stares from a room of my peers (supposedly fellow geeks), the other day, for knowing what a Tribble is]
IGBC
IGBC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

1. Who doesn't know what a tribble is? I, for one, welcome our new tribble overlords.

2. The problem I have with the new Star Trek movies isn't just that they're not Star Trek anymore (as in dumbed down to a point where a potato might just understand it) but just in general not very good movies. The script was written by the two brothers that brought us "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" the WORST movie of the last decade! It has so many inconsistencies and errors. And it finds a way to completely ignore everything that went on before the reboot.

The new timeline poop gives them the ability to just come up with new stuff and not having to worry about the older Star Trek series anymore. Why not remake the old Star Trek, yes. Set it around the time of the Klingon Wars (as in the start that was NEVER shown to us in 50 years) and then continue from there. You'd have plenty of opportunity to show a movie where a war breaks out, have lots of action, have it set in the actual Star Trek story and then move on.

They'd have to watch out for a few events that are hardcoded into the storyline but in between could do whatever they wanted.

Especially because in 50 years of Star Trek timetravel has always been in the same timeline, not creating a new one. That's why when time traveling the crews of Star Trek have always tried to blend in.

IMO it's a reboot and franchise wasted. If they had wanted to make another science fiction action movie, why not just come up with something different? because the lore and backstory and characters and the FEELING of star trek aren't even remotely present in the reboots.

Actually Bob from the Escapist Movie review show gets it spot on:
SpaceKookie
SpaceKookie

Back to top Go down

Post by assasing123 Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:19 am

do you remember when we used to be explorers? - Jean Luc Picard...
assasing123
assasing123

Back to top Go down

Post by IGBC Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:13 am

Actually I think Jonathon Archer said that at some point as well
IGBC
IGBC

Back to top Go down

Post by assasing123 Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:41 am

If he did, he stole it from the future! o,o Picard was first!... I really didn't like archer and his mini akira class...
assasing123
assasing123

Back to top Go down

Post by IGBC Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:42 am

Archer beats Picard hands down. Archer was out in the middle of a war with no support and all of them future creeps jerking him around. Besides that Archer would have said it first, he was alive first
IGBC
IGBC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 am

Yea Archer was first. The NX-01 launched in 2151 while TNG sets place in 2364. Also Archer had a very intense moral code, even while fighting a war and was always an explorer.

And I agree, Star Trek is about exploring and how the future is a wonderful place where humans can overcome their violent past and grow into something much better. But hey...good thing all the idiots that never liked Star Trek like it now. Good thing we lost an intellectual scifi franchise and have another dumb action one. Good thing Star Trek is "cool" again...
SpaceKookie
SpaceKookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum