Homeworld: Rebirth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couple of newbie questions

2 posters

Go down

Couple of newbie questions Empty Couple of newbie questions

Post by michaelws Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 am

I have been considering getting into the Homeworld Complex game. I am 65 years old and loved Homeworld when it came out. I am watching Gearbox to see what they do in releasing this game again...but want to play the old game again.

Do I buy Homeworld 2...the original game?

Is there a guide for folks like me that do not play with a lot of mods...in how to (sort of step by step) install everything? I am on Windows 8.1 so will it work for me?

Also, at the top of this forum I keep seeing something that says I need to upgrade to see the video. I see that is is an exe file called Video Performer. As I have never heard of this I m gun shy. Too many past experiences with malware and viruses. Should I ignore this?

Thanks for any help. I look forward to getting back into this game. I play almost no games and I wasn't very good with Homeworld when it first came out and I have no expectations that I will be much better now. I wish it had a sort of sandbox slow mode for people like me that are not good at fast realtime strategy games...but like them.

Again..thanks...I hope I can get this running.

michaelws

Back to top Go down

Couple of newbie questions Empty Re: Couple of newbie questions

Post by ALC Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Greetings. Welcome to the forum.
I'm afraid that this forum is rather dead now, however the original complex forum is still alive.
The Complex mod and complex enhanced are available as a free download from moddb.com:
Complex
http://www.moddb.com/mods/homeworld-2-complex
Complex enhanced
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirth1/downloads/complex-enhanced-880

The current version of complex has bugs that need to be fixed, so I suggest Complex enhanced, though it is an earlier version of the mod.

michaelws wrote:Do I buy Homeworld 2...the original game?
That's up to you—I think it will be a while before Gearbox produce anything new, we watch and we wait! HW 2 can be bought quite cheaply on ebay.

michaelws wrote:Is there a guide for folks like me that do not play with a lot of mods...in how to (sort of step by step) install everything?
There are guides on installing the Complex mod on the Complex forum:
http://complex.mastertopforum.com
Things have become rather quiet there lately, but there are still some knowledgable players around.

There is also the Relic forums, still active, for discussion on all things Homeworld2:
http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?72-Homeworld-2-Tanis-Shipyards

michaelws wrote: I am on Windows 8.1 so will it work for me?
I am afraid that I don't know the answer to this! I run it on XP myself. There are threads in the Complex forums that might be of help in this section. I believe that people have succeeded in getting it running on Windows 8:
http://complex.mastertopforum.com/installation-configuration-technical-problems-vf60.html

michaelws wrote:Also, at the top of this forum I keep seeing something that says I need to upgrade to see the video.  I see that is is an exe file called Video Performer.  As I have never heard of this I m gun shy.  Too many past experiences with malware and viruses.  Should I ignore this?
Whilst I am sure the movie is fine, you don't need to view it—I don't see it, so i think my blocker is blocking it Smile

michaelws wrote:Thanks for any help.  I look forward to getting back into this game.  I play almost no games and I wasn't very good with Homeworld when it first came out and I have no expectations that I will be much better now.  I wish it had a sort of sandbox slow mode for people like me that are not good at fast realtime strategy games...but like them.
The gameplay modes in Complex are adjustable, you can vary the difficulty to suit the type of game you want to play.

michaelws wrote:Again..thanks...I hope I can get this running.
I hope so also. Happy combat Very Happy

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:00 pm

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by michaelws Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Thank you for your generous replies. I just picked up a copy of Homeworld 2 off ebay. My fingers are crossed that I can get this to work.

Again, thanks for the links

michaelws

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:33 am

Glad to be of help.

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by michaelws Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:51 am

ALC...I read many of those posts. A lot of the links are no longer working.

I did get my copy of Homeworld 2 running on my desktop with win 7 (but no sound card) and my tablet the Wacom Companion with win 8.1.

I could not find where to get version 1.1. And I would love to get the no cd patch as it is cumbersome to keep my external dvd drive attached...and I would like to better preserve my original CD...as it came from ebay and already has a few scratches.

Are there any current places I might look to find the patches?

Thanks

michaelws

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:42 am

A google search ought to find the current locations of the patches.

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down