Homeworld: Rebirth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

buff Multiple Research modules. (EDITED)

3 posters

Go down

buff Multiple Research modules. (EDITED) Empty buff Multiple Research modules. (EDITED)

Post by assasing123 Fri May 17, 2013 12:50 pm

So right now I m playing checking your work guys, so far so nice, though I just though about something...

Having multiple research modules seem to offer no purpose other than to unlock research itself, couldn't it be made such that each additional research module decreases research speed by some % rate? say 10% per module, you will never get to 0 research speed but it would make games be not only faster but help with the HUGE! research tree you get sometimes...

back in hw1 as everyone remembers each research station could do a research by itself, since I guess that's not possible in hw2, I believe the bonus to research time would be a fair trade?

EDIT!: after the replies I saw, I consider maybe the formula should be changed to T= t/n instead of the current one, to make more meaningful and noticeable the bonus of having many of this, as well as to speed up some games, it cannot be broken since anyway resources will still be a limit.

Last edited by assasing123 on Sat May 18, 2013 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Replies and suggestion.)
assasing123
assasing123

Back to top Go down

buff Multiple Research modules. (EDITED) Empty Re: buff Multiple Research modules. (EDITED)

Post by Nakamura Fri May 17, 2013 1:19 pm

This was in place since HW2 vanilla.

The algorythm is :
t(new)=t/((n+1)^0.5)
Nakamura
Nakamura

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hw2rebirth

Back to top Go down

buff Multiple Research modules. (EDITED) Empty Re: buff Multiple Research modules. (EDITED)

Post by assasing123 Fri May 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Nakamura wrote:This was in place since HW2 vanilla.

The algorythm is :
t(new)=t/((n+1)^0.5)
is this working in complex? if so... damnit I have been playing for 10 years this thing because it never stated that research modules speeded up research... so never build more of those...

and correct me if wrong but.. dosnt that formula means it does not scale linearly... it actually got a really bad scaling at the start...

4 research stations will give you 2.23 the research power...

btw did you guys manage to get the spookyratv200 extractor to work on win8? I had to install a vm just to get it running...

Last edited by assasing123 on Fri May 17, 2013 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
assasing123
assasing123

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakamura Fri May 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Yep it does work.
Nakamura
Nakamura

Back to top Go down

Post by assasing123 Fri May 17, 2013 4:38 pm

wouldn't it make more sense if the formula was T=T/N?
assasing123
assasing123

Back to top Go down

Post by IGBC Sat May 18, 2013 11:22 pm

if the formula was T/N then when n = 0 the game would crash as T now = infinity (div by 0 error), also when T=N Tnew = 1 second

a better one would be Tnew = T/T^(N-1)
IGBC
IGBC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakamura Sun May 19, 2013 3:54 am

I call OP!
So you get to engineering division, you got a tech with T=64s
64/(64^2)=0.015625
Instant research, aye?
The current one is just fine. Use research burn. As for vaygr, they aren't supposed to outproduce the hiigaran late game. Their phase is the early and mid-game.
Nakamura
Nakamura

Back to top Go down

Post by assasing123 Tue May 21, 2013 2:22 pm

just saying building 64 research stations is quite unrealistic... but the divition by zero issue can be easily fixed by something as simple as:

Research time = T/(N+0.01) I understand it might be overpowered... but I find that in some games I m spending as much as 2 hours researching stuff.

yes alternatively I can build my unit cap with carriers... but then the game lags badly even on my I5
assasing123
assasing123

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakamura Tue May 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Who said anyone will have 64 research modules? I said the time to research for a theoretical tech would be t=64seconds. If you are at engineering division, you have 3 modules. so n=3.
If Tnew=T/T^(n-1), then you got Tnew=64/(64^2)=0.015625seconds

You have the option to burn research, at a cost. I can easily have a fully researched frigate tech tree in as few as 12 game years in C.E supremacy. I don't see why you would want research to be even faster than it is.

If you're spending 2 hours researching, then you're just pointlessly trying to get 100% tech completed and aren't playing well because it shouldn't ever take two hours with research burn.

A T=T/(n+0.01) would be completely OP, especially at start. I mean, I could instantly get the pulsar corvette chassis because it requires no module lol.

Let's not even talk about what it would do to a vaygr rush. You do realize that vaygr don't work with tiers, right? They can unlock level 2 after they researched lvl1. That's all it takes. No further pre-requirement. A vaygr player could build some invincible fighter force by game year 6 and no one would be able to stop it lol.
Nakamura
Nakamura

Back to top Go down

Post by assasing123 Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 pm

hmmm I do see your point, is just that it seems maxing say... hiigaran super capital ships... takes so freaking long... can at least allow hiigarans to buy more than 1 research station maybe?
assasing123
assasing123

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakamura Thu May 23, 2013 5:14 pm

That would be just as bad seeing as you could use double RU boosts.
Super capitals obviously take quite long to upgrade seeing as they are at the top of the tech tree regarding requirements. The actual upgrading is again no problem. A few tips to ease your frustration about research :

Have at least 3 fully saturated asteroid fields by the time you reach commander rank (12 collectors +3 refineries per field) and use nonstop RU power up. You'll have trouble spending the resources and will find yourself using a lot of research burn.

By game year 14 in C.E Lightning I managed to research the entire research tree. Yep. 100% Unfortunately using research burn will not be calculated as completed research, so screenshotting that was not an option Sad
Nakamura
Nakamura

Back to top Go down

Post by assasing123 Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 am

Will try what you suggest, still not convinced tho.
assasing123
assasing123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down