Homeworld: Rebirth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Balancing of ships

2 posters

Go down

Balancing of ships Empty Balancing of ships

Post by bladevalant546 Mon May 20, 2013 4:35 am

I thought of creating an excel spreadsheet to have a real-time list of vessels. This can act as a quick reference for keeping up with all the ships and eliminate any back and forth one might have to do with referencing the said ships in the mod’s code. What this spreadsheet will display is each ships’ firepower, build times, and any other stats that one might want added to this list. I believe this will help organize the balancing of units and help with communication. This is not to replace the in game testing that balancing will require, however this will help with the management of units. I think this will help, because I know from doing design documentation of games (or just mods) that balancing can be a chore. This is especially true with the scope that Complex presents.

bladevalant546

Back to top Go down

Balancing of ships Empty Re: Balancing of ships

Post by Nakamura Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 am

Everything is displayed in the descriptions menus, the values change as upgrades are being completed, too. Creating a spreadsheet would not necessarily be easy or making management easier. There are tons of factors.
Also keep in mind that most ships utilize modular weapons. I don't see a way of getting this all into one singular file.

Please share your thoughts about how you imagined this exactly, because I may have missed the point.

In my previous balancing venture on another game the team and I simply didn't need a sheet because we just knew every single stat Arrow I guess that will never be the case here

For balance to be achieved, we must go way beyond pure balance of stats, in any case. Balance in an RTS game is defined by timings of events, actions performed, quality of these actions, decision making of the players, abuse of the opponent's weaknesses... It's an incredibly complex procedure to build up a balanced game from something as broken as complex. We will have to proceed slowly and carefully, focusing on balancing the game phase-by-phase.
Nakamura
Nakamura

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hw2rebirth

Back to top Go down

Post by bladevalant546 Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 am

Nakamura wrote:Everything is displayed in the descriptions menus, the values change as upgrades are being completed, too. Creating a spreadsheet would not necessarily be easy or making management easier. There are tons of factors.
Also keep in mind that most ships utilize modular weapons. I don't see a way of getting this all into one singular file.

Please share your thoughts about how you imagined this exactly, because I may have missed the point.

In my previous balancing venture on another game the team and I simply didn't need a sheet because we just knew every single stat Arrow I guess that will never be the case here

I will make it simple and easier I shall make a demo for you so I can have a good representation. Thanks for the input give me a few days to write out the macros.

bladevalant546

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakamura Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:43 am

How is this going, mate?
Nakamura
Nakamura

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hw2rebirth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content